Thursday, June 04, 2009

Our Cause

Diabetes.
  • Something that I never really paid attention to or cared that much about until I met my husband.

  • I was drop-kicked hard and fast into a life of learning all about this cruel but manageable disease when my baby was diagnosed.

I am requesting prayers for what doors this disease has and will continue to open for us.

We are always drawn to volunteer work in this area but my heart is really leading me to do more. We do the JDRF walk every year, we help JDRF when and where we can, we have mentored families with newly diagnosed children, and we are volunteering for the Tee Up to Cure Diabetes Golf Tournament on the 13th.

I want to do more. I want to be strong enough to become an ambassador family for JDRF. I want to be able to stand in front of congress and fight for juvenile diabetes research funding to not be cut, to do whatever needs to be done. I want to be an example for my son and fight for a cause with all you have inside you. Right now what is holding me back is knowing that I can still not tell my story to others without crying. I cannot explain how I still wake in the middle of the night and run into my child's room and shake him into startle because I am afraid he has died in his sleep. I cannot talk about how sad it makes me that my child has to deal with the in's and out's of this disease every day of his life. They tell me that crying is okay, it shows that we are human and how drastically it has affected our family, but that is hard for me to do. Pray for our family as we are led to what we are suppose to be doing. We are all here for a purpose. We all have a story to tell and this is a big part of ours.

Saturday we will spend the morning at the JDRF kick-off meeting for the 2009 Walk at Cliff's Amusement park. We get to meet other families in our shoes, hear stories of hope and get motivated to do our part in finding a cure. The afternoon is filled with rides and fun! Trey says that our yearly JDRF Cliff's trip is an awesome benefit of having diabetes. That is my son, that positive one!

No comments: