Monday, October 27, 2008

We are walking for a cure

This Saturday our family and friends will all stand behind my little man and walk together in his honor. I can't even write that with out getting teary eyed. We pray that there is a cure for diabetes in Trey's lifetime. No child should have to endure what he does. We have calculated that in his 8 years of living with diabetes he has endured over 23,000 finger pokes and over 7,300 injections. It breaks my heart that he doesn't squirm and throw a fit when he sees a needle coming at him. He is 9, he should wig out with shots.

I still remember every single detail of the day he was diagnosed. The horror of hearing that my 16 month old baby has a disease that will change all of our lives still makes my hands shake. I still wake up more times then not in a panic that he may have died in his sleep from low blood sugar. It is an awful feeling and I'd give every limb to have that go away.

I try and see the good in everything and as much as this disease sucks, it has made him who he is. He is strong beyond his years. He is compassionate and he will be the first to tell you "it could always be worse". He is the type of person that will make a difference. It has taught our family a lot about life, and for that, I am thankful.

Insulin is not a cure. Support diabetes research.

Please come see mine and Trey's pages and read the comments our friends and family have left Trey.

See how many lives he has touched.
Brandi's:

http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=87052346

Trey's:
http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=87253752

I love you son and I pray every single night that we will wake up to the news that there is a cure. Keep your eyes up to the stars. You are making a difference in this world. A little bit longer buddy.....

1 comment:

reflections said...

love you guys. we are thrilled to walk with you and support Trey, he is a fantastic little boy. Thanks for teaching us so much and talking about his disease, you inspire more then you know.
xoxo